Thursday, July 21, 2011

A trip to the past (part two)

So after Sofala we ventured onto Hill End. Hill End is described as an 1870s ghost town. In the 1870s it was a thriving gold town with about 8000 residents (the largest inland settlement) and had a kilometer of shopfronts, which included 28 pubs, an oyster bar and even an opium den! By the 1920s gold mining had dropped off and today its population is about only 80. In 1967 it was proclaimed a historic site and National Parks and Wildlife Service is preserved and restoring Hill End. There are also many great lookouts where you can see forever. It is a really beautiful place to visit and because of its history and beauty it is home to many artists.








Unfortunatley we took mostly video and not pictures of the buildings so my partner put together this little video which has both Sofala and Hill End. Enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. Love the video and the music. I am going to watch it again now!

    Love your blog.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a fantastic place! Love the old tracks.

    Thanks for visiting my blog, its nice to meet you :) I will add you to my blog list so others can find you too! Tamara x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the lovely comment. Ruby and Crickette make the most unique pieces - shes so talented. Beautiful post btw and lovely pics. I remember visiting Hill End when I was in high school and they made us pan for gold... Something makes me think that it really wasn't real gold though. :(

    xox Kat
    http://festivalgirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, thank you for taking the time to share.